Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 2, Post 3

I've made it this far.  I know that doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment (yeah!  I stuck with something for 24 hours!)  But this is probably the gazillionth time I've started a self-exploration project.  I just went through and organized all of my suitcases.  Perhaps the reason I've been feeling a little lost is that all of my stuff is in either suitcases or storage units.  I may just be onto something here.

When I was younger I always thought a bohemian kind of life style would suit me.  Traveling, writing, living from day to day.  And all in all it sort of does.  But it is extremely difficult to start down any sort of a career path when the longest one is in any given city is around one year.  And I do mean the LONGEST.  For the past two years I've been going to graduate school in NYC.  I guess that is an accopmlishment in and of itself.  I always said someday I would live in New York.  But somehow school is sort of the easy way out for me.  I love it, I understand the world of it, and I'm generally pretty good at it.  There are rules and guidelines and projects with purposes set by other people.  I think I seem self directed, but really when left to my own devices I tend to watch too much television.  Or read books that have nothing to do with what I should be reading.  That's the best, because then I find a sense of purpose in finishing the novel and can let myself excuse the not doing the homework.

I'm off to the library.  Got to do some reading and some returning.  I'll answer some self-exploration questions later.  Maybe on the bus?  Or while getting tea?  Or if I get bored at the birthday party I'm supposed to attend tonight?  That would be awesome, sitting in a bar with mainly strangers while I ignore them and fill out self-help questionnaires.  Nothing says "cool chick" like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment